Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Toddlerhood. Over it.

In Russian, there is a word, жить можно, pronounced zhit' mOzh-na, which basically means to "just getting by." We are in serious zhit' mOzh-na mode right now.

And to be perfectly honest, this week, the zhit has hit the fan.

The tiny two-year-old tyrant is driving me batty.

She scratched her friend Ava three times last week, and didn't stop even when I threatened to have her declawed.

Some other "teachable moments" we have had recently:

No you may not wiggle out of your high chair and eat all the cottage cheese off of Jonah's plate while he goes to the bathroom.

No you may not wake up at 1:00 am on a Tuesday and demand to go to Uncle Garry's house to see about a bird.

No you may not dump your soup over your high chair and on to the dog simply because "Hannie no like soup today."

No you may not say "Oh crap! all wet!" when we walk outside and it is raining. Okay...that one may be my fault...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...and we all know apples are from Kazakhstan!

Anyway the list goes on.

I think adoptive parents tend to analyze our children a little more than most.  Lately, I've been worried about the two-year-old tantrums.  Is this a typically attached two year old trying to assert her independence, or early signs of an attachment disorder?  Is she really even two years old?  I'm pretty sure her birthday was just a guesstimate, so am I expecting to much out of her? Too little?  My gut instinct has always been that she is younger than the arbitrary date on her adoption paperwork....

My friend and soon-to-be AP has been bugging me for a detailed Hannie update so here is everything I can think of to describe her currently in 5 minutes or less....

Hannah at 25 months ~ lover of all kinds of candy and chips ~ vegetables not so much ~ doesn't like to go to bed or go to the doctor ~ starting to write letters and shapes ~ loves to play dress up and do her hair and ride her pink Jeep ~ never keeps the covers on at night ~  current favorite book is Goodnight Gorilla ~ starts music and gymnastics class next month ~right handed unlike Mommy ~  if you ask her where babies come from she will tell you Kazakhstan ~ swims like a fish ~ gives great hugs ~ more attitude than should be allowed in a small body.  XOXO ~Erin


 Hannah at her readoption.
 With Judge Rogers at Hannah's Readoption hearing.
Kamilla's Little Gym Birthday Party...6 of the ten little faces were from Kazakhstan!
Looks can be deceiving...
With her bestie Ava
 She all the sudden doesn't look like a baby to me anymore....not sure how to feel about that.

Such a shame she is a wallflower

 Stricker's Grove with her cousin Abby.
This is how she rolls.
And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you; because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~Roald Dahl

9 comments:

Susan said...

She sounds pretty typical to me! Going to bed is boring. Just ask Leeza. :)

The only way out is thru...you will survive. and wow, writing letters ALREADY? impressive indeed.
The smart ones are always the hardest to parent. :)

Kelly and Sne said...

She reminds me of Miras in a lot of ways - smart but precocious! I think the smarter they are the more precocious as they figure out quickly what they can and cannot get away with and where your buttons are! Just remember that this too shall pass. Though I hate to warn you that 4 seems to be worse than 2 for us here! LOVE the photos - she just gets cuter every day.

erinskazblog said...

McMary here--
Love the photos. She is such a doll and you are right she is not just a baby anymore.
She sounds very normal to me--with a good teacher like her mommy I am sure she will turn out to be a sweet lovely productive member of our society.
the biggest problem I see is that she is just too cute to really get upset with.
I agree with Susan--she is really smart--writing letters already==WOW.

Megan844 said...

Erin, chin up! My two are rather assertive (I tend to be proud of it more often than not.) What I've learned? Avoid saying the word "no" at all costs, even if you just skip it in the sentence - it seems to make the assertiveness as my house grow exponentially.

My 3-year-old: Mom, I want to eat candy for dinner! Me: You CAN pretend your macaroni and cheese noodles are orange jelly beans.

My 4-year-old: My sister scratched me! Me: Oh darn, now she'll just have to keep your skin particles under her fingernails forever. Gee, I hope they don't make her nails fall off. Then what will she paint with her new rainbow glitter nail polish?!

My 3-year-old: I will NOT wear clothes! Me: Okay, just let me know when you change your mind. I'll be downstairs getting ready to go outside. Hope you can put clothes on and come outside with us...the dog will look pretty silly driving your Dora jeep around the driveway.

And when you need to move quickly, reverse psychology. It works like a charm! GOOD LUCK!

Lou Ann said...

I agree with Susan and Kelly. The smart ones are more...interesting to parent. I think the apple trees in Kazakhstan must be watered with magic water since all the Kazakh kids are especially bright!
And Lexie went through a lovely biting phase at 2. Of course it started with her getting bitten in daycare but she learn pretty quickly to bit back! Then she decided that she would be the best bitter in the class. Oh joy. But I can say that phase didn't last very long so hopefully Hannie will learn to express her affection for her best buddy in a kinder, gentler way.

I too love the pictures! She has such a great smile and you can see her plotting, I mean planning her next adventure in a couple of those shots.

Have fun at music & gym class!

Lou Ann & Lexie too

PS - Thanks for the kind thoughts on the passing of our dog Kit. It's never easy but this was a total shock.

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Keep a journal!!! It's fun to go back and read posts. It also helps maintain sanity because you turn the crazy moments into something useful. All the best.

Lisette said...

I just want to know how you keep a straight face when she says things like "oh crap!". What a hoot! And wicked smart! Does she also throw things - like EVERYTHING?! I can't get Ty to stop hurling things across the room, on the floor, at the dogs....After our last visit to a restaurant I swore I wouldn't take him out to eat again until he's 11. Other moms keep telling that three's are worse than two's. We need to brace ourselves!

Dean and Janie said...

Well, I agree with everyone. The extra smart, verbal/kinesthetic ones are often harder to parent. Everyone has given you such good advice! She sounds like a normal toddler to me! And my how beautiful she is. Her eyes just beam with life. Enjoy!

Lisa said...

Well "zhit" :) behind visiting again! LOL

Oh my friend...this too shall pass! I think its just extra frustrating because they reach so many milestones just when you also take note of their blooming independence and lack of resembling that baby of yesteryear!

Its a lot for any Mama and then throw in a tot who is bright, willful and uber cute? Well, its bound to make even the best of us a bit nutty from time to time!

:) XOXO