Thursday, May 26, 2011

A New Season of Life

                             In one of her new pairs of pajamas sent by my sweet friend Quynh



See above picture.  We are all put here with special talents.  I have a friend who has a two year old who can name all the planets.  I have another friend with a child Hannah's age who can write words.  Hannah can put her feet behind her ears.  Yes, the talent runs deep in this household...


After literally MONTHS of rain, I went outside last week and say a strange orange ball in the sky. What was it? The Sun.  Oh hello Sun, I had forgotten you existed :-)  The sun made its appearance just in time, as we finally got Hannie's playset up in the backyard.  She loves it, the swings, the slide, but especially the little "cafe" where she serves up grilled hot dogs and artichokes (her choice).  We had an unofficial "Pool's Open" party with the neighbors last weekend and decided to make it a "fry night."  **My apologies to all the healthy eating friends out there***   Garry, my neighbor, has a huge deep fryer and we deep fried chicken wings, fish, mushrooms, sweet potato fries, hush puppies, onion rings, mozarella sticks, Oreos, etc.  It was delicious, but it's a good thing we don't do Fry Night very often or I would weigh a TON!!!





Hannie and I also started our first (patio) garden.  We planted tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, and watermelon. Hannah gets very excited about watering them every day, so I guess that is her first official chore.  I am starting to make some plans for the summer; I have a teenage neighbor who is a certified lifeguard coming over 3x a week to give Hannie swim lessons.  We are taking a trip to Chicago in June to visit with some wonderful friends, and we have a tentative date set for our trip up to Sesame Place as well.  We had a wonderful offer to attend REECA in Colorado with a great friend and future Kaz (hopefully) adoptive mom, but it doesn't look like this is going to be the year for that. We may, however, be able to squeeze in a trip here in Ohio to stay overnight in a yurt.... Check this out!  Who knew?!


Wildlife Center Offers Sleepovers in a Yurt!



Hannie is doing well.  This month I find myself looking at her and continually thinking in the same manta of how-can-she-be almost-two-time-flies-by so-fast.  Her best little friend is starting preschool this week.  I thought about enrolling Hannie, but after some soul searching and long conversations with those much wiser than myself, I have decided we are going to wait at least another year. That's not to say she isn't learning at home.  We work on development every day and she is age appropriate or above in every area.  I try to continue the cycle of high expectations, hard work, lots of love, and gratitude for every milestone each she makes. 

This season of life has been a medley of firsts, and unfortunately not all good ones.  She had her first real cold, complete with a hacking cough, runny nose, and fever.  We are grateful it only lasted a few days.  But there are happy firsts to come as well.  Her first pedicure, first pair of flip flops, first trip to Disney World, first time at the beach...  Her new favorite expression is "Mama, Hannah DO IT!!"  It makes me smile and at the same time tugs at my heart with the bittersweet recognition that my baby girl is, in fact, growing up..... 




And it's a wonder to behold.


"There is an instinct in a woman to love most her own child - and an instinct to make any child who needs her love, her own." ~Robert Brault



7 comments:

qmiller said...

Great post Erin and that sweetie of yours just gets cuter and cuter!!! Have a blast a Kazapalooza....will miss seeing you this year. Q.

Abby said...

Erin,

Let us know when you are going to Sesame Place. We were thinking of going this summer as well.

Abby

Lou Ann said...

I agree with Q - great post and it doesn't seem possible but Hannie does keep getting cuter! It really is amazing that she's already two and you've had her home what a year and a half? I think more than anything else a child makes you realize how quickly life goes by and how precious it is.

Have a wonderful summer!
Lou Ann & Lexie too

Tammy said...

What a fantastic summer you guys are going to have. If you think you are amazed at Hannie now, just wait until the end of the summer!

Love the swingset!

ThuyQuynhandDmitrii said...

Thank you for being so encouraging and inspirational! I am so happy Hannie is enjoying the pjs I got her. I how she is enjoying her bag too! She is darling! Yes, I hope to be a Kaz momma soon!
Sending all my love to you both!

Lisette said...

Ah, she just gets cuter by the minute. Love the lady bug rain gear! Can't wait to meet both of you.

Michelle said...

Thanks for posting the Hertiage Camp link. We live in CO and didn't even know it was here!