Friday, January 14, 2011

The One Who Waited







Someone asked me the other day how Hannah got her name. When I looked at the calendar , I realized it was exactly one year ago today that I chose the name.  It was actually suggested to me by my then 7 year old cousin Jacob, who was a big Hannah Montana fan at the time.  I looked it up, and it means "Gift of God's Grace."  It is derived from the Hebrew word Hannah which means "beautiful and passionate."  Which in fact, describes my daughter perfectly.  The biblical Hannah was childless until late in life, and she was actually known as "the one who waited."  Just as my daughter did.  Hannah prayed to God and was rewarded with a son, Samuel.  Hannah’s story is a picture of how God’s grace is given to those who trust in him.  I think it is a beautiful story of patience and faith, and that is how my daughter got her name.

We have had a busy few weeks as has become the norm.  I hosted a NYE party at my house for a few neighbors and friends.  We had a blast eating appetizers, drinking copious amounts of champagne, and playing games.  Hannie of course didn't make it till midnight (or anywhere close) but she DID get to have her first sleepover.  Her BFF Isabella spent the night because Isabella and Hannie's mommies were both too...let's just say tired (wink wink) to drive anywhere.  The only resolution I made this year is to Laugh More and Stress Less.

We had the unique opportunity this month (thanks to my wonderful friend Jennie, and her fiance Noah), to visit The Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was truly amazing.  70,000 square feet of the bible brought to life, including a Garden of Eden, the Ark, a Planetarium, Special Effects Theater, and unbelievable dinosaur animatronics.  It was very EPCOT-ish and even after all those years of Catholic School religious education, I still learned a lot.  I spent a lot of time in the Natural Selection is NOT Evolution section reading about antibiotic resistant bacteria.  Hannie's favorite part was the exotic animal petting zoo. We got to see a Zonkey and a Zorse and they even have camel rides!  All in all, a very enlightening and enjoyable day trip. Here are some highlights:







 Hannie continues to grow up way too fast.  Her new obsession is dressing and undressing herself.  She can take off all her clothes and she can put on her pants and sometimes her shirt by herself, and she ONLY wants to do it herself.  This takes a tremendous amount of time and patience, and typically results in inside out and backwards clothing and two legs in one hole, but I am happy for her that she has the motor skills to do this.  It drives me up the wall though, the minute we get in the car, she takes her shoes and socks off! Her other new thing is refusing to eat something by telling me "No. HOT." And it doesn't matter what it is. It could be a popsicle. You're killin me, smalls.

We are excited to attend our 2nd annual Kazapalooza this year, in St. Petersburg Florida.  Hannie and I went last year, we had only been home six weeks but we really enjoyed getting to see all the Kaz Kuties and their parents. It will be nice not to have to bring bottles and formula and baby food this year!!  She won't be 2 yet, but my mom says she can even potty train her before then.  I have my doubts, but time will tell :-)  We are also looking forward to extending the trip by a few days and enjoying Orlando with my Kaz friend Laurie and her son.  Can I say for the millionth time how much I love the Kaz family?! And speaking of which...

A few months ago, I wrote an article for my adoption agency's blog.  It was called Zen and The Art of Single Parenting  and a woman  named Helen, who is a PAP and has a WAY cooler blog and writing style than mine, liked my article so much that she wrote a super cool response to it on her website. Here is the link. She got a few things wrong. I DEFINITELY only have one kid. Although sometimes it feels like more. Much, much more.  But I digress.  Here is her blog link and response:   http://momslifeupsidedown.blogspot.com/2010/11/reply-to-zen-and-art-of-single.html

A friend of mine posted on facebook recently that she was missing Kazakhstan.  I have that feeling a lot, and most people can't understand that.  It's surreal.  How can you miss the land of smog, open sewers and squatter toilets?!  I mean, Disney World, it was not.  Jodi said it best.  It was really cold, there was literally nothing to watch on TV, you can't drink the water, internet is spotty at best, my clothes never really got clean, it was hard to communicate with everyone.

BUT.
It's where I became a Mama.  It's where I met my very best girl, and where I hope to someday return for my joy boy.  It's where I learned how strong I was, because I really had to be.  It's where a judge said "DA" and changed my life forever. It's where my best friend and I grew even closer than we ever thought possible.  It was the hardest trip of my life.  Hardest and most beautiful. It's where I finally figured out what unconditional love was.  It's where I met forever friends and made a million memories.  It was the experience of a lifetime, and my heart twists in all sorts of amazing ways just thinking about it. No, Kazakhstan is not Disney World, but for me, it's the most magical place on earth. 

If what I say resonates with you, it is merely because we are both branches of the same tree.
W.B. Yeats

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I so love the meaning behind Hannah's name. That is so beautiful. And to mean "The One Who Waited". She really did wait and she had to have faith that she wouldn't be forgotten. Isn't it amazing how God's plan works out?

I am also excited to hear about Joy Boy. You'll have to stay tuned to see how your guinea pig second adoption turns out ;-)

Maren and Peter said...

I so get what you mean about missing Kazakhstan. It will always have such a special place in my heart because of all of the wonderful memories that my family and I created there. Somehow, the difficulty of living there falls away and only the good stuff remains.

See you at Kazapalooza!

Kelly and Sne said...

Hannah is a beautiful name and it has a beautiful story. Miras used to take his shoes off every time we got in the car and it would drive me nuts. HE also does the "its hot" thing when he doesn't want to eat something. Sigh. Great that she is learning so many new things all the time. We found out that Irina can pull her own pants up after we put some on her that were way too big and she spent the day at school pulling them up from her ankles! Poor girl. We used to REALLY miss Kazakhstan as our first trip there was so special (granted, it was Summer) and fun in so many ways. Unfortunately the trials and tribulations of the 2nd and 3rd trips have dampered some of that sentiment but we still can't wait to take the kids back there someday. Can't wait to meet you two IRL in FLA!

Marianne said...

Erin, Love, love, love what you said abot Kazakhstan. I felt that way after both adoptions even though my 2nd adoption was filled with bumps and curves. It is definately hard to explain this feeling to others who have not gone through the process. I knew after my first adoption, even while I was there in KAz finishing my adoption that I would return. I did return years later, with tears of joy when I first saw the Almaty neon sign at the airport and stepped off the plane walking that hallway and down the stairwell to get to customs before being greeted by the driver......I hope Kaz reopens soon and that you will be on your way again!

Jennifer said...

Hey fellow tree, beautifully said!

Joy Boy- love it! (big grin)

Hannie is sooooo smart! Wow, I'm just amazed at all that she can do.

Even after almost 4 years, I still miss Kaz. It's the difference between living there and visiting there, I think. Jim and I have both commented that if we had extra money, we'd love to plan a vacation back there every 3-5 years. Just a one to two weeker type of deal- no Kaz Joy Boys for us. ;-)

Lisa said...

Oh Erin, .....where do I even begin? And you KNOW I'm not at a loss for words often!

You perfectly blend both the fun tidbits of daily life with your sweetpea, weekend trips and touchstone, grounding and defining moments all in one glorious post!

I feel blessed to know both of you lovely ladies and though I never ever wish time away.....KP in June is something we are anticipating!!!

P.S. You summed up the trip to Kaz. beautifully; usually I'm looking into a skeptical expression when I share that with someone and its nice to know I'm not alone; nor would I have ever imagined that I would leave a piece of my heart in a land half a world away.

D and A said...

I also love the meaning of Hannah's name. She waited patiently for her mama to come and get her. :) See you in St. Petersburg!