Friday, January 28, 2011

It Takes A Village

I wrote this blog for my adoption agency's site, but I thought it was a good message, so I decided to re post. Pictures and Hannie updates are at the bottom!  

John Lennon once famously wrote,
There's Nothing You Can Do That Can't Be Done, All You Need Is Love.

Well, that may have been true for old Lenny, but I am willing to bet he never adopted a baby as a single parent.  Those of us that have been down that road know that, while love is crucial, it isn't all you need.  You have to have energy, education, patience, financial stability, health, and, maybe most importantly of all, a strong support system.
The old African proverb says It Takes A Village To Raise A Child.  Support systems, like villages, come in many shapes and forms.  Some of us depend on sisters, brothers, neighbors and coworkers.  Others rely on our church family and friends.  Still others join cyber-support groups.   When I began my adoption process, I knew I would need to rely on my friends and family to help ease the transition into Single Mamahood, but I had no idea how much I would come to count on my other village, my tight-knit group of Single Adoptive Moms, for support and guidance through the roller coaster of adopting and parenting as a single Mama.

There are 16 (or maybe more) Kaz families in Cincinnati, and many of them have become my close friends.  A group of us originally met three years ago through (where else?) Facebook, finding each other on our agency's fan page.  When we realized we were all in the Cincinnati area, and all adopting babies from the same Central Asian country, we immediately started getting together for weekly lunches.  In those early days, we would sit around nice restaurants, leisurely dawdling over coffee and salads, discussing dossiers and social workers.  Flash forward to present day, where we meet every Sunday at a different kind of restaurant.  It's loud, chaotic, and and not a white table cloth in sight.  Yes, we now meet at a McDonald's Playland, swapping parenting tips and hand me down clothes as we simultaneously kiss boo boos and refill the juice cups of our three beautiful children.        


 My single adoptive mom friends understand me in a way that others do not.  They understand how physically, emotionally, and financially draining this alternative path to parenting can be. They understand my commitment to my child's cultural education, and my need for her to know and love her birth country.  They have been there for me through the challenging times and through the rewarding ones, too. When I traveled overseas to adopt my daughter, I talked to them almost every day.  From 7500 miles away, they shared my joy, and allayed my fears.

"  What if she doesn't ever feel like my daughter?"    I worried. "
 " She will."  they insisted.
  
And of course, we all laughed knowingly over Skype, when, just hours later, I danced joyfully around my apartment with my daughter in my arms, whistling "Yes Sir, That's My Baby."   Because of course, she was.

  Being a single mom is hard.  We are given TWO biological parents for a reason.  Someone to drive, someone to navigate.  Someone to cook, and someone to do the dishes.  Still, most of the time, everything goes according to plan.  It is possible to independently juggle a job, a child, a house, etc. and not feel overwhelmed and exhausted.  I even make it to the gym every once and a while. But then there are those days when I oversleep and the car doors are frozen shut and the dog is sick and the baby is teething.  It is on those days that I reach for the phone and call my village.  And they are there, without judgment or hesitation, validating me and supporting me as I navigate the I'm Not Super Mom Guilt Complex that inevitably comes with single parenting.  My support system of friends has also helped me see the advantages of single parenting.  As my single-adoptive-mom friend E famously says,

"Yes, single parenting is hard, but I like that I don't have to constantly compromise with someone else on all the parenting decisions.  If I decide its stay-in-our-pajamas-eat-cupcakes-and-watch-cartoons Day, who is gonna stop me?!"


  A valid point, but also it is important to remember that it is not a sign of her weakness or an indication of failure to reach out for assistance and support.  After all, it was John Lennon who also famously wrote, I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends.  While I love my Single Adoptive Mom friends, we don't agree on everything.  One of us is religious, the others are not.  One of us doesn't let her child watch any TV, I've been known to let my 18 month old watch a minute or two of The Bachelor (please don't tell my social worker).  But we do agree on one thing.  Being a single parent is the toughest job we have ever loved, we wouldn't have it any other way.

Hannah Update















 She had her 18mos well child visit with her pediatrician, and she grew another inch and a half and gained a pound in a month.  My dad is so excited that she is so tall, he is already planning basketball drills and dreaming of her in Xavier blue.  This month she also started identifying letters and letter sounds.  She can do about 6 of them (I took video, will post soon), I am continually amazed by how easily she soaks up information.  We are also going to work on counting, since she has a number book she is showing some interest in.  We had a great time on a recent trip to the Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park hotel. She loves being in the water, which is very good because we have a pool.  We had a lot of fun, Hannie loved the pools, the merry go round, the Cub Club (a giant kids play area), the giant Animatronic Tree (they put on a show each night, where snow and bubbles falls from the ceiling), but quite honestly her favorite thing was the luggage cart!  We saw a famous person there with her kids as well!!  Here are the pics above.            

11 comments:

qmiller said...

Nicely said Erin! It is tough, but boy I sure love my girl!!

Lou Ann said...

Erin, you hit the nail on the head with so many valid points. Single parenting is HARD in so many ways but it really does have a LOT of positive aspects to it as well. At Lexie's dance class, two stay at home moms that I've hung out with for years, were moaning and groaning about their husbands who didn't want to do the dishes when it was their turn (I guess the rule in both their homes is if one cooks the other does dishes) and then the husbands had the nerve to complained while they did them. I just sat there and quietly laughed to myself since of course I do my own dishes (while complaining to myself sometimes I'll admit) after coming home from work, making dinner while doing a load of laundry and listening to Lexie's piano practice plus thinking about what I need to get done to be prepared for work tomorrow. And you know what? I think I'm the happier one since I love every minute I get to spend with Lexie no matter what I have to do to make give us that time together. Everyone makes choices in their lives and choosing to be a single (older) working mom was the best choice I've made in mine.

Ain't life grand!
Lou Ann
Proud mom of 4 1/2 year old Lexie born in Aktua Kaz and in my heart

Carolyn Tarpey said...

Wonderful post Erin! Yes, it is tough being a single mom but I would not trade it for the world!

Hannie is as adorable as ever!

Anonymous said...

I was going to tell you that you hit the nail on the head, but Lou Ann beat me to it. I agree with both of you - I can be whatever kind of parent I want to be (and I love pajamas and cupcake day, may have to do that soon ;-))

Single Kaz Moms are the bestest!
Shannon

Lisette said...

I was having the "no one gets it" conversation last night and today I read this. Thank you! I wish I had a network of single Kaz moms in my area to hang out with but having the online support is pretty cool too!

Cindy LaJoy said...

Really enjoyed reading this post. I'd also like to add that even with a two parent family it takes a village! As we have taken on the challenges of this past couple of years (Heck, who am I fooling...since we began adopting from Kaz 11 years ago!), I would be simply lost without my village. They fill the gaps, they hold us up, they offer encouragement and understanding when no one else around "gets it".

And the biggest advantage I can see to being a single mom, as I look in from the outside? It is that one more child is loved, one more child's needs are being met, one more child is not going to bed hungry and hurting. Thank God for those single adoptive mom's and their courage! I doubt I would find enough courage to do it myself!

Lisa said...

I admire single parents so much; not more or less than families with 2 parents, but simply in a different way.

Having been that parent that benefits from the other P coming home and taking over a bit with the munchkins on a day I might be under the weather or just exhausted, I often think about who steps in for the person that heads up a single parent household?

It is then the village and it must be family and friend support that helps to sustain in those tougher moments; and while we value that network just as greatly, the threads that bind all of you might tug a bit more poignantly and with deep deep appreciation.

A thoughtful post just as always and lovely photos too! Luggage carts are tempting :) even for bigger kids! LOL

P.S. LUV that Kaz. tee!!!!!

Tammy said...

Well you know me, I wouldn't have it any other way! The good news is that things do easier as they get older. Zachary can do so many things independently now. It's sounds strange but it is a big help in the morning rush that he can put his boots on himself LOL! I know I should be worried about when number 2 comes home and I'm sure there will be times I feel overwhelmed. But you fall into a routine and things really aren't so bad. You just do what you need to do.

That being said, you DO need a village. One person can't be everything to a child. I love how Zachary just lights up every time he sees Grandma and Grandpa or how he will do things for his OT that he won't do for me.

McMary said...

Great article Erin. I love my adoptive mom community even though I have not even met many of them in person--they are always there for each other.
You are a great writer.

Kelly and Sne said...

Great post. I too am amazed at the support of the Kaz adoption community - virtual or not - as they truly are the only ones who know what we are going through and who always seem to be there for us and know the right things to say. You are so lucky that you have so many families so close. It looks like Hannah is getting taller and growing up - losing her baby fat and starting to look like a toddler! Still cute as a button!

Stephanie and Gary said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post -- the truth, the joy, the hardship. Though I am not a single parent there had been busy chunks of many months that my husband used to work 7 days a week when I had two kids. I thank God things have changed now. I am so happy for you that you have your village and standing playdate on Sundays. There are many blessings and friendships to be found along the paths we travel.