Sunday, February 6, 2011

Battle Hymn of the Kaz Mom

First of all, thank you all for all the nice comments and emails on my last blog entry. Blogging is a great creative outlet for me.  It fuses three of the things I like best -- writing, photography, and bragging about my daughter!  I am however, for various reasons, planning to take my blog private again, so if you want an invite, let me know.  Also, if anyone knows how to get blogger to allow more than 100 readers, please shoot me a message. Now, on to the regularly scheduled programming...  

Today is one year to the day that I boarded the plane to Kazakhstan, and Wednesday is officially our "Meetcha Day"  One year ago, my name changed from Erin to "Mommy" and when people found out I was adopting a baby, one of the most popular questions was:
Do you want a boy or a little girl???
When I told people it did not matter to me, mostly they nodded knowingly.
"As long as it's healthy, right?"  Was the most common response.  The shock came when I said that didn't matter either.

No,I "responded. "I just want my baby.  If he or she is healthy, that will be great.  If not, that will be okay with me too. "  
  
 On my home study, I didn't request a gender, and I kept my age range broad.  For various reasons, most people who adopt internationally request girls, so, knowing that I did not request a gender (and this was back when you could request a gender), I prepared for a toddler boy.  I bought boy clothes.  I painted a room in boy colors.  I learned the names of Thomas and all his Train Friends.  I mentally prepared for a lifetime of monster truck rallies and wrestling camps.  And then, on a cold day in January, I heard those magical, life-changing words.  Girl.  Baby Girl.  To say I was shocked was an understatement.  A girl seemed like such an impossibility.  Even after I saw her picture, it didn't quite seem real. Even as we boarded the plane, bags packed with pink blankets and hair bows, I didn't quite believe it.  And then they placed her in my arms.  And everything changed in an instant.  I remember thinking, this is all a dream, because this much happiness isn't humanely possible.  I remember the euphoric, all-encompassing, deep to the bottom of the soul feeling of rightness.
"This is MY daughter. SHE's the one."
And the rest, as they say, is history.  But actually getting her was the easy part. Raising her, it seems, will be infinitely more tricky.  Lately, I have been reading a slew of parenting books, all preaching different messages, about the best way to raise our children.  Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom promotes strict, uncompromising values and discipline in order to raise "sucessful" children.  Cinderella Ate My Daughter tells us to fear Disney Princesses and speaks of the insidiousness of the girlie girl culture.   They both make valid points.  After reading them, I was inspired to make a list for my own daughter, of things I have learned, and advice I can give.    

Here is what I have to offer:

1.  Travel the world. Don't be afraid to get lost, and keep a journal when you do so.  Live wherever your heart leads you to.  Your environment is vital to your well being.  Don't overpack. If you can't carry it, you probably don't need it.  Learn to appreciate the differences between cultures, and see how, in the end, we are all the same.

2.  Practice the art of altruism.  Give charitably, generously, and anonymously. Volunteer on behalf of others, and don't just give money.  Give your time, your attention, and your heart too. To those whom much is given, much is expected.

3.  Keep in touch with your family and old friends.  Visit, write, and call, even when it's expensive and inconvenient.   Remember, the roots are the strongest part of a tree.
  
4.  Know that children are a blessing, but remember that having children is like getting a tattoo on your face. You need to be really certain it is what you want to do before you commit.

5.  Right now you are very curious, inventive toddler. Don't ever lose that.  It's okay to color outside the lines.  Poetry doesn't have to rhyme.  Rules are meant to be broken.

6.  Don't marry someone you can live with, marry the person you cannot live without.  Remember that love is the closest thing we have to magic.  When it comes to men who are romantically interested in you, just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do. Never let someone break your heart twice.
 
7. Be polite and grateful.  Handwrite thank you notes. Show gratitude when someone takes the time to do something nice for you, and treat others the way you would like to be treated.   When you eat the fruit, remember the person who planted the tree.

8. Don't be afraid to be smart.  Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.  Read anything and everything you can.  Never stop learning and help others do the same.  Remember that a quality education has the power to transform societies in a single generation.

9.  Find your passion and make it your career.  Don't worry about salary.  Do what you love, and the money will come. No one's headstone ever read: Had lots of money in the bank.

10.  Laugh often and much.  Enjoy your life without comparing it to that of others. It is enough for you to know that you are good, without examining whether others are as good as you.

11.  Respect  yourself and your body.  Get in the habit early of exercising and eat right.  Find something that relaxes you.  It is not a waste of time to take a bubble bath, go for a walk, or reread your favorite book.

12. Believe.  In yourself, in God, in the goodness of people. Believe that all things are possible and you can do or be anything you want. 

And most importantly,  remember I love you, unconditionally, no matter what.   


Hannah Update:  One year to the day that I left for Kazakhstan, we had her baptized in the Catholic church.  It was a special, memorable day, filled with family and friends.  Here are some pictures from Hannie's dedication and the party that followed. 















Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

28 comments:

Lou Ann said...

First - please invite Lexie & I when you go private louannquast@yahoo.com.

Second, boy we have a lot in common. You have to know my Aunt Betsy (Schutter) who has been the secretary at the Catholic Church in Hamilton for years. I've only attended mass a couple of times there but it sure looks like the same one. Are there more than one in Hamilton?

Third, I LOVE your list way better any anything else I've read that has been published. My personal favorite was number 4 (sometimes you feel like they've been tattooed on your face!)Just beautifully said. I'm going to have to print it up and borrow it from time to time.

And fourth, congrats on one year together! That first year is a doozy!! So much growth and change and love all rolled up into holidays, family gatherings and just simple days together. The good news is it even gets better (I know that's hard to believe but it's true.) When you can actually talk to her (even if you don't understand everything she has to say) and she can "help" with some of the chores and the spontaneous "I loves yous" are the best. So sit back and get ready for year number two. The fun has just begun!

Lou Ann & Lexie too

4texans said...

Awesome, I love your list for your daughter. Great pictures of her baptism/dedication. Can I be invited to your blog?
mom2okayo@yahoo.com
Katherine

Carolyn Tarpey said...

Hi Erin,
What a wonderful blog post! Your list is amazing too, it is so special for sweet Hannie!

Thank you for continuing to open up your blog to us outsiders and of course I would LOVE an invite!

carolyn.tarpey@gmail.com

The Robeys said...

The list was wonderful and she looks absolutely adorable in the pictures.

If you have room please add me to the invite list when you go private.

l.cowell@att.net

Lisa said...

Oh, please know that I would so love to continue sharing in your journey too as you go private! :) I would miss ya both terribly!

I always say this.....searching for more and different adjectives....LOL....but I always come back to this: simply beautiful!

That sums it all up for me: your post, reflections, the outpouring of love for your little girl that is so evident....your pride in the journey and her birth country.....and both of you ladies, inside & out!

XOXO

Adrienne said...

Hi Erin
Would love an invite to your blog....
Like you blogging is a great outlet for me... I love to write and keep a record of 'our busy life'... However most times it is so busy I do not have time to write!!!

adriennecolleran@yahoo.ie

Regards
Adrienne... whose Kaz princess is 8 and returned for her little brother in 2006..Big sister is turning 15 on Saturday...

qmiller said...

Erin: Would love an invite to keep up with you and Hannie...you have a wonderful way capturing your love of parenting her through words and pictures!
Congrats on your one year anniversary...I suppose it's like finally having labor pains for an expectant mother...I know I'll never forget the anticipation of getting on that airplane!
Love the list! Quaintance
qmiller@umich.edu

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Griffin, Skylar and I want to continue to follow along on your journey! All my best, Susan

smooretexan@gmail.com

BabyKazfan said...

happy happy anniversary.and please invite me. I admit, not much time for reading blogs, but i do keep ours updated (for Leeza) and i enjoy reading others when I can.

I loved what you wrote for Hannah. I have a slew of parenting books i'm too tired to read. :) but i loved what you said and how true it all is.
I was blown away by how much Hannah looked like Rylie Tennen in her awesome hat with flower and dress. She is a beauty-and so smart!!! I love watching her videos and all her progress. You are an amazing mom!
We are so blessed to have these smart amazing lil girls...even when they try our patience (as least Leeza tries her mommy's daily.)

Happy happy year anniversary. That's a BIG deal. :) She has a come a long way baby. :)

Tina said...

Hey Erin, Would love an invite. Hope there's enough room to keep all your folks.
Tina and Lily

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

adorable... such a great post!!
Have to have an invite.. Hannie can't grow up without us watching! ;) Why you going back private? Just curious.. wondering if I'll ever go back public with mine... message me if there are "real" reasons.. ;)

McMary said...

Erin--please invite me and Hannah to your private blog--I have to keep hearing about the other beautiful Hannah!
mcnab.mary@mayo.edu
Even though we are different in many ways (most notably I am 50 and I am not even sure you have hit 30) but the similiarities are striking every time I read your posts and comments. And you are a great writer so it is fun to read. You put feelings into words very well.

Congrats on the baptism--Hannie was beautiful. My Hannah's baptism in the Catholic Church is one of the most special days in my memory. It was also my first time to share (Show off) her to so many others. I was one proud Mama and I know that you are too.
Also--congrats on one year of motherhood. It is such a milestone. It is truly a love like no other. We have celebrated many first anniversaries already--the day we met, the day the adoption was finalized in court, the day I got physical custody, and the day we arrived home (which was yesterday). That is a great thing about adoption--lots to celebrate.


The list of lessons to Hannah is simply beautiful. So full of wisdom and they hit on everything that is truly important in life. She is so blessed to have such a wise and loving Mom.

elzbthlee2 said...

Erin,
you have a way with words! I would love to keep following your blogs! Please send me an invite if you don't mind! Congrats on one year with Hannah!

Leanne

Marianne said...

Love'd your post.....such deepth and warmth.....what a wonderful Mama and role model......
Marianne
mzeun@cox.net

Kami said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE that list. It is perfect, full of wonderful advice. # 4 made me laugh out loud, I have never thought to describe it like that but it is so true. I hope you don't mine but I am going to save a copy. Your writing style in general is wonderful and inspiring.

The picture of you and Hannie looking at each other is so precious. That little girl just sparkles, she has the best smile.

If you have the room, I would enjoy being able to continue reading along on your adventure with Hannie.

~Kami
kdykes@gmail.com

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

What a beautiful post, as always. Could Hannie be any happier or any more adorable? Those close-ups in her white dress are breathtaking. Congrats on your one year together. I remember so well, following your blog as you went off to the super bowl party. I'll never watch a super bowl again without thinking, "Wow, Erin went to a super bowl party in Kaz." You were so inspiring then, and you are so inspiring now. Hannie and you make a perfect team.

I hope I make the "100" list.

Golfercincinnati @ yahoo . com is the address I use for invites, etc.

You go girl!!!

Karen.

Tricia said...

I love what you wrote Erin. And I would love to continue to follow along. Happy "one amazing year" to you and Hannah!

triciahoffa2@verizon.net

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Great post Erin! We would love to continue to follow along. Please add us to your blog list. Thanks, KJ and the crew!

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh - I about died with the tattoo symbolism LOL! But oh so true! We are never the same and we wouldn't have it any other way!

It is true that the second year is better than the first. As wonderful and exciting as the first year is, it is exhausting! So many firsts, so many new transitions, so much to learn about being a parent, so much to understand about what is really important. I am finding that in the 2nd year I am enjoying the fruits of all the hard work we (yes, both of us) put into the first year. Given Zachary's constant smile, I would guess he feels the same way :-)

Count me in please, to your private blog kaleymeister@yahoo.com

lisa said...

Beautiful words! All of them but my favorite is #1. Your Hannie is just so precious and Stella and I thank you for sharing sweet Hannah's clothes with Stella. I think of u both every time we put one of the outfits on.

Please please keep us on your list!

Lisa and Stella with much love!

Alysa said...

Incredible list for your daughter -- so wise and loving. She's a very lucky girl to be the reason behind the "tattoo" on your face! ;)

Congrats on your first year as Mommy! Time flies.

Please add me to your invite list: bc4alysa@yahoo.com

BTW, others have created a "group" user id and password that many can use. Just ask anyone using it to indicate who they are in each post.

Stephanie and Gary said...

outstanding writing!! Please keep me included on your list
StephUSA@gmail.com


happy anniversary!!
What a lucky little girl to have such an intuitive, progressive, savvy, strong and compassionate mom!!

marsrob said...

Wow. A year. And reading this made me weep. Congratulations. What a blessing that you two finally came together. Amazing. You are an awesome mommy.

Anonymous said...

Hey you! ME ME ME ... I need to keep watching and learning from you :-) twathy2002@yahoo.com

Anita said...

Another great blog post! I’ve loved following along… your writing and photography are phenomenal and what a beautiful little thing to brag about! Hannah is just a doll! So easy to see how loved she is, you both just glow and are so beautiful together!

I would love to continue following along: ADKhin@gmail.com

Kari J said...

I would love an invite- Thanks!
Kari.
karij62@yahoo.com

julie said...

I would love to continue following your blog! I Love your list that is priceless. congratulations on your one year anniversary! Can't wait to meet you and Hannah in Fl. :-)
julieac65@msn.com
Julie

D and A said...

Beautifully said. Hannah is such a sweetie.