Thursday, December 30, 2010

What A Difference A Year Makes







This week we celebrated Hannah's first Christmas!  We had a wonderful time with family and good friends.  Thursday was a party at the neighbor's house (thank you Amy, for a wonderful time!), Friday was celebrating with my mom's side of the family, then the candlelight service at Headwaters (which Hannie sat through without making so much as a peep...a REAL Christmas miracle), Saturday morning was of course SANTA TIME, and then we celebrated with our friends the Fenings, and then again with the neighbors Saturday night. I am exhausted just writing about it!  Hannie loved her gifts, we didn't go overboard with presents, but she LOVED her tent, her table and chairs, her drums, and her doll stroller.  

I was actually surprised she loved the stroller as much as she did. Hannie is not, despite my best efforts, a girly-girl in any way, shape, or form.  The dolls I have given her look brand new because she rarely plays with them.  She much prefers playing in the dirt with her boy cousins than playing inside with the girls.  Most of the time, I watch her wrestling or playing ball with Bubba and my dreams of tea parties, paper dolls, and ballet lessons slowly fade.  BUT every once in a while, she surprises me, and when I see her pushing her baby doll stroller through the house, hope springs anew!

We are headed to Disney this Spring (before Kazapalooza) and I would love to hear from any families who have taken very young children there recently. We have been a million times, but never with an under 2 traveling companion.  I am wondering how it will be trying to keep 2 adults, one baby, and one 7 year old happy in the Happiest Place on Earth.  I think we may skip Hollywood Studios. I LOVE it, but there doesn't seem to be enough there that Hannie would like. We may have to get a hopper pass though, because I hate to miss Fantasmic.  We are planning to do the Chef Mickey's character breakfast, and possibly more character meals.  Planning for Disney is the equivalent of strategic military operation!  The jury is still out on a hotel.  We have stayed in almost every park property, and The Beach Club is far and away my favorite, but I think we may stay at the Polynesian this time so I don't have to deal with a stroller on the buses.  The last trip we stayed at Wilderness Lodge, which was nice, but I think the kids would prefer the pool at the Polynesian.

 In just a few days, we are coming upon the ONE YEAR anniversary of the day I got THE CALL.  I guess if you chose to have your babies the regular way, you never forget the moment you find out you are pregnant, or maybe the moment you hear the heartbeat or see the little tadpole (well that's what they look like to me anyway) on the ultrasound.  Maybe I will someday experience that as well, but I can't imagine it being half as exciting.  In the world of adoption, you never, ever forget the moment you get THE CALL.  Except, that I honestly don't remember that much about it!  I know it was January 12, 2010, about 4:30 in the afternoon; I was just about done working.  I remember Anne calling and excitedly asking what I was doing.  I told her I was about to run to the mall to get a gift for my Dad's birthday; maybe a picture frame or some cigars. I think she said something to the effect of, "You'd better get PINK ONES because IT'S A GIRL!!!  She is 6 months old! I just emailed you pictures!" And then I don't remember anything after that.  I am sure we talked about IA doctors, travel plans, and paperwork, but I have no recollection of any of it.  It was as though my whole life I had been living in a black and white world, and then all the sudden, for the first time, I was seeing everything in color.  I raced to the computer and saw her beautiful little face for the first time. Isn't it odd how our lives can change in an instant.  One minute I am playing Candyland and working on basic concepts with my little patient Salah, and the next, I am a MOM!!!  


During the adoption process, you are always waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop. I held my breath for 12 months as other countries closed to singles, changed age restrictions, and went on indefinite adoption hold status.  But seeing her little face made it all real.  I read the first line of the email Please refer this little girl to Herman.  Since this blog is now public, I won't share the rest of the email, but these pics were attached.  I got in the car to go home and turned on the radio.  This is no joke.  The first song that came on was Savage Garden, I knew I loved you before I met you.  I called 3 people on my way home. First was my mom, who predictably hysterical.  Next was my best friend Elizabeth (Hannie's namesake), who was just getting over the passing of her Grandmother but wasn't going to let a little thing like death keep her from going to Kaz. She immediately rushed over to the house to join in the excitement.  The third person I called was my cousin/sister Jaime, who was more excited than anyone else.  I literally though my eardrum was going to burst from all her screaming.  Since I had mostly toddler boy stuff, Elizabeth and I headed straight to her sister's house. Cath has 4 kids and a whole shed filled with baby gear. We loaded up the car and raced home. The next 2 weeks were a flurry of packing, paperwork and travel prep but I will never, ever forget that very special, very memorable day.  

I did end up getting my Dad a picture frame for his birthday, with a picture of his first Granddaughter inside.  I just went to the the store and bought him another picture frame, and inside I put a picture of  my baby who is no longer really a baby. She is now a walking, talking wild and crazy toddler.  What a difference a year makes!


"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring you children from the east and gather you from the west."  Isaiah 43:2-5         

4 comments:

McMary said...

Erin--what a beautiful post and update on Hannah. Whenever I think about how adoption all comes together it is so amazing. congratulations on one year of being a Mom--she is absolutely precious and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. Filled with joy and love. It is your story yet it gives me hope. Thank you for sharing it. Thanks for encouraging me. May 2011 bring you and Hannie many new fabulous memories!

Lisa said...

I had goosebumps reading about the moments that led up to and directly after "the call."

I wish I would could have followed along then, but feel so blessed to be able to do so now.

Such a poignant time fast approaching; how grateful you will be to have shared and recorded your thoughts on this miraculous time.

Hugs to you all and Happy New Year ~ may your days continue to be filled with great joy, light and blessings.

P.S. Oh gosh, I will have to email you any tips on Disney I can think of!!; L was 7 years old and T was under 2, so our timeline(age wise) was somewhat similiar.
You will ADORE the Polynesian and I do recommend their Lilo and Stitch breakfast!

Kelly and Sne said...

Amazing how your life has changed in the past year! Isn't it amazing how fate works to bring people together who were so meant to be together! So happy to hear that you and Hannie had a wonderful first Christmas together!