Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Tides They Are A Changin'....

In December, I started writing my annual "What I Learned in 2012 And What I'll Do Better in 2013" blog.  I love those blogs.  I find them cathartic.  I find them cleansing.  After all nothing is quite as spiritually purifying as turning over a new leaf.  And it feels oh-so-right.

But then December turned into a really, really hard month.  Maybe the hardest ever.  I tried to blog about it. It's not time yet.  Maybe someday, or maybe never.  Having said that, I should mention, I'm a big silver linings girl, and I did learn a few things:

1. Matt is a rock.  I am blessed and lucky (more about that later).

2.  Our family and especially our friends are supportive and amazing. Together, we can do hard things.

3. God Has a Plan. God Has a Plan. God Has a Plan.....

But enough about all that.

Here's what HAS happened since the last time I blogged:

Matt and I got ENGAGED :-)  As many of you know, my home slice and I have been dating for quite a while.  On Christmas Eve, he proposed and I said yes!  (My next blog is going to be all funny, wedding related stories; but patience, grasshoppers). Our wedding is in August, we are so excited to begin our Happily Ever After!


Hannah's health problems have IMPROVED!!  Many of you know that in August, Hannah was diagnosed with a mega colon.  This is a pretty serious issue, made even more complicated by the fact that we have absolutely no family history or medical background.  Although she has been bladder-trained since age 2, it made her impossible to bowel train.  At our surgery consult, it was suggested that we place her in the hospital for 17 days, insert a feeding tube, attach electrodes to her colon, remove the part that may or may not be working.  After hearing this news, I was hysterical, obviously.  For a child who has already been through serious trauma in her life, this, I felt this could be potenetially devastating. And my mother's instinct told me I was right. Her pediatrician agreed (we are so lucky to have an AMAZING pediatrician) suggested we do one more trial of medication, and, lo and behold, IT WORKED.  She is now completely potty trained and no longer in pain.    

Hannah is now 3 and half, and some of you should have warned me that three and a half (the half, she tells me, is very important) year olds suck the sanity right out of you.  Like, I love her, but after 4 straight snow days inside, I kinda wanted to light myself on fire.  Here are a few things she has recently tantrumed over:

1. Her birthday balloon is missing. (Her birthday was in July. The balloon was helium.  I threw it in the garbage 3 days after her party.  She miraculously remembered and lost her Sh** over it just this week.). Stay classy, Hannah.

2. Her best friend stole her invisible golden slipper, and wouldn't give it back.

3.  I won't let her go outside in 3 degree weather wearing a tank top and one sock.

4. I won't let her touch fire.

Calgon, Take Me Away.

On the flip side, We had lots of fun holiday family time, including a great trip to the Great Wolf Lodge, Sledding, trips to the museum and the zoo, IceFest, a cookie exchange, and Hannah's first trip to the dentist (no cavities, no surprise there, she brushes her teeth about 20x a day -- I blame Doc McStuffins.). Anyway, here are some pictures dating back to October....

 Matt is a HUGE Notre Dame fan (cue the win one for the pretend girlfriend jokes) and was excited to see this ice sculpture.


 Being her usually silly self.
 Training for...Cirque Du Soleil maybe? at the Great Wolf Lodge.
 You have never seen a person so excited to go to the dentist.  It was the best day of her life.
 Meeting her new cousin at Matt's cousin's Christmas party.  They warmed up pretty well :-)
 Helping Matt unwrap a Christmas present
 Sledding!
 Fun with her best friend Isabella (who makes strange faces when we try to take her picture)
 Her first musical, she loved it!
 This is ALL ice.  I swear.  It's down in Nashville -- we went to the Opryland Hotel.
 Totally Amazing
 Matchy Matchy Mommy and Hannah
 Her new bedroom set
 And again.
 Out to eat
 Before her School Christmas Show.  Oy.  For the love of pete Hannah, please try to keep your dress down next year.  
 Santa Breakfast
 Festival of Lights at the Zoo
 Mad Goldilocks (it was too cold to trick or treat, she was bummed).
 Cheesin'

 Oxford's Halloween Parade
 Some snacks I made for her class party....




So there you have it folks, my first blog in 3 months.  There is so much I want to blog about.  I want to talk about blending families (the whole carriage before marriage thing isn't always easy), I want to talk about the wedding, and how Matt must NEVER know how much it costs, and I'd like to blog about how I'd like to try hillbilly hand fishing.  At any rate, I need to keep an accurate blog so Hannie will have something to show her therapist someday.  But Seriously folks, this blog could go in just about any direction.

Thanks for reading and I promise a funny wedding planning bloopers blog is on the docket for this week!  Blogging is cheaper than therapy :-) 2013, here we come.

In December, there were Tears.  There was a Storm.  There was a Sunset.  But there was also a Rainbow....



Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow.      Love and Light, ~Erin


No comments: