Monday, April 11, 2011

I Should Be Cleaning Out My Car Right Now...

First haircut --screamed like a howler monkey.
 But instead I'm going to blog....
Three naked Kaz babies swimming in the (covered) pool

1st Easter Egg Hunt

 We looked in the back seat and there they were holding hands.  BFF's and double trouble!
 Spending the day at Parky's Farm with Emily and Bella and Cath and her kids.
 Not super excited about the horse.  Funny, since this horse was actually smaller than our Great Dane, who she absolutely loves.
Riding a John Deere with Landon.

So I was reading back through some old posts and I realize that I talk a lot about Hannie's 1st year but not much about my first year as a mom.  It has without a doubt, been the most amazing, stress-inducing, happy, wild, enlightening, roller-coaster year of my life.  Here are some things I have learned....

1. Kids are great excuses to do the things you want to do, like jumping on the trampoline and eating ice cream every day. They are also great excuses for getting out of things you don't want to do, like going to funerals and working on snow days.

2.  That so many of the "must have essentials for your new baby" that you buy are unnecessary so don't get suckered in. Nobody really needs wipe warmers, designer diapers, or those little snotsucker things.
  
3.  Never wear white.  Brides wear white because once they get married and have children they will never get to wear it again.  True story.  It has nothing to with purity.

4.  Being a mom means you can buy expensive jewelry and justify it by saying "I will pass it along to my daughter some day." It's fabulous.

5.  That executing your daily hygiene routine is a privilege and not a right. I love Hannah to the moon, but lord help me I'd like to poop alone. 

6.  Every mother in the world is competitive when it comes to developmental milestones in our children.  Determine ahead of time that you don't care what other mothers think.  I've learned that we are all clueless anyway.

7. You will say completely ridiculous things to your children. Just like your mother said to you. You will claim to have “eyes in the back of your head.” You will ask them if they “live in a barn.” You will threaten to “pull this car over right now!”

8.  In a pinch, sip cups can make delightful wine glasses.

9.  For the first two years, your life pretty much revolves around bodily fluids. 

10.  That although I knew I would love my daughter, I underestimated how much I would love my daughter.  She is my air. She is the reason I’m here. There is no greater love.


Let's hear it for the Moms! 

 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ditto!!!!!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Boy you nailed that one down pat! Especially about the ridiculous things that Moms say. I have no shortage of Mom-cliches! Though I do have to disagree with the snotsucker thing - that has worked marvelously and both kids liked it. (?) Though it grosses me out so only Dad has the stomach to use it on them. Speaking of that bodily fluid thing...

McMary said...

great post.
I could not even imagine what Motherhood really was and yet it is everything I imagined and more.
Lots of people keep telling me that I need to remember to take time for myself and to do the things I want to do but I have learned that spending time with my daughter is the thing I want to do more than anything else.

Marianne said...

True so true!

Anonymous said...

Love this post!

Tammy said...

The wedding dress analogy is priceless! (Although if I am being honest, it is not always Zachary who gets my white stuff dirty...but I can blame him anyways, right?)

And it is so true about being able to do all the fun stuff again, now that there is a child. I find excuses for everything. If I never got to do it as a child, I say I want better for my son and he is going to get to do everything I didn't get to do. If I did myself when I was younger, I say i want him to have the same wonderful experience. I can find an excuse for just about anything :-)

And I have to agree with Mary. Everyone tells me too that I need to get out and do things for myself. But all I want to do is spend time with the love of my life. Who cares if he happens to be 2 years old? And who knew that the conversations I have my 2 year old are actually more riveting than those I have with most adults?

Lisa said...

LOVE . THIS . POST.

:)

XOXO

lisa said...

Well said!!

qmiller said...

Great post, Erin! You are so right---what an amazing gift and challenge it is to be a mom of these delicious children....and so consuming! Q.