Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dolce far Niente, The Sweetness of Doing Nothing


The video above was made by my sweet friend, Jim, and will be used in a project I am working on.  Jim is an AP to a beautiful baby boy from Kazakhstan as well.  The Kaz family has once again amazed me with it's generosity of spirit.  As for Hannie and I, we are doing well.  16 mos has been a crash course in parenting 101. As you can see from the pics below, Hannie is now walking ALMOST on her own, and with mobility has come independence.  The baby gates are up, anything breakable and/or dangerous has been moved to a higher shelf or locked in a cabinet.  I find myself saying many things I never thought I would say, such as:

Hannie, stay out of the doggy's cage.

Hannie Elizabeth DO NOT throw the baby Jesus in the toilet! ( perhaps I should clarify, she got a she got a nativity set)

For the love of Pete, Hannie, we don't eat sticks of butter. 

As of late, I have often been pondering  a quote I once heard from my favorite author, Elizabeth Gilbert, who said, 

"There are only two questions that human beings have ever fought over, all through history.
How much do you love me?  And who's in charge?"

And anyone who has ever been in any type of relationship, be it with a significant other or with a child, knows that this is true.



Compared to September and October, our November calendar has been blessedly clear, and Hannah and I are truly enjoying, as the Italians would say, "dolce far niente", which loosely translated, means the sweetness of doing nothing. We do have a few things on the agenda, we are planning a trip to the Festival of Lights with my friend Emily, her little girl Isabella (two weeks younger than Hannah, and her BFF) and our moms, who are also friends. In an attempt to give my daughter "presence, not presents" for the holidays, we also purchased museum center passes (good for the Children's, History, and Science Museums) with 3 other Kaz Families in the area so we are looking forward to spending some time there. As a matter of fact, we went today, and imagine our surprise when we LITERALLY stumbled over a YURT!!!    


  We are also excited to announce that Hannie will get to be a flower girl in a wedding this spring/early summer.  My friend Jenny is getting married and Hannie and I are both  in the wedding.  I know I am biased, but she will just look SO cute dressed as a miniature bride.  I am already having panic attacks about how we will keep the dress and her clean long enough for her to walk down the aisle and smile for pictures. And speaking of pictures....












And I would like to end this blog, with a poem, which I stole from another friend's blog :-)

I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know.
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.
 
For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true!

No, I didn't give you The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.

Lots of love and light, ~Erin

2 comments:

Kelly and Sne said...

She is so darn cute! Really, is there ever a time when she is NOT smiling? This is one of those ages when they are into everything. Oh, and 2 and 3 are too! Have fun!

Lisa said...

Oh Erin ~

How this made me smile!

Just wait....with our best girl I have uttered many things I never would have imagined: a few come to mind;

"We don't wear swimsuits in January to school." (circa Preschool)

"Please take that dress off your baby brother." ( circa early 2009)


and recently to Little Man:

"No, we don't eat off the floor!" (Ack!) or "drink from the dog's dish!!!!" ( double ack!)

So I can giggle right along side you and know that neither one of us would have it any other way!!!

And P.S. She will steal the show at the wedding!!!!! :)