Monday, June 28, 2010

The Kazapaloosers take Milwaukee

Last weekend Jaime (Aunt Jaimima), Hannie, and I flew to Milwaukee to hang out with 80ish other families with children adopted from Kazakhstan.  It was sooooo amazing and wonderful to get to meet great friends in person whom I had only known online up until now.  The weekend was amazing well coordinated and the organizers deserve a GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!!  My new friend Lisa said it perfectly when she said the weekend not only brought friendship but also "brought a renewed sense of Kaz community and spirit."  Friday evening was a fun night at the Betty Brinn Children's Museum. This was fabulous.  We got Kazapalooza gift bags, had a yummy dinner, and got to get to know everyone while the kids ran wild.  Hannah, even at 11 months, LOVED it.  She played on the slides, in the sand box, and with the other kids.  She was the youngest Kaz kid there, but it didn't stop her.  She is 11 months going on 4.  That night, Jaime was nice enough to offer to watch Hannah (okay, she didn't offer.  I waited until she was distracted and then left for 4 hours) while I hung out with some awesome Kaz mamas.  It was so cool to get to know Kim (my fellow Gleek), Alaina, Stacy, Muriel, and everyone else.  It was also really nice to get to spend some time with other Shymkent families, including the beautiful Nurai, handsome Jacob, and the sweet Harmon girls.  Saturday was a special day as well.  We had a wonderful luncheon and slide show, with the pictures of the kids "then and now."  Since Hannah has only been home a few months, her pictures weren't that different.  Still cool to see her on the big ole' screen!  They also had a silent raffle and Hannie won a ton of stuff!! She got a tutu, potty training books (it can't come soon enough), a Kaz flag onesie, photo albums, a bath set, etc.  She is my lucky charm.  We took naps and then headed out to dinner with the Single Kaz Mamas group. This was a great time (a very LOUD time) as well.  Got to hang with the wonderful Christy and Z, and they were aweeeesome.  So were Lori, Quaintance, Melissa, and everyone else.  We are kindred spirits.  I crashed that night, and the next day we had the buffet, went to the SPOON foundation meeting (it was all about nutrition in KZ.  My little piglet sat there eating fruit loops and a chocolate doughnut) and then had to leave to the airport to come home.  All in all, an exhausting but amazing weekend. The Kaz adoption community has been such a blessing in my life, with all the support, encouragement and love I have been given.  We Kaz families bond over the shared experiences and histories of our children.  We are excited to see everyone again at the Midwest Meetup in August and the Walk for a Kaz in Sept.  I am having so much fun being Hannie's mom, and I know in my heart, the best it yet to come!
 
Dixie Chicks 
They didn't have you where I come from
Never knew the best was yet to come
Life began when I saw your face
And I hear your laugh like a serenade

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up.
 

5 comments:

lisa said...

How truly wonderful!!! I can't wait to meet you, with Stella next year! Hanna and Stella are about the same age..maybe a month apart?? I am so excited already!!

so glad that you had fun!

Love ya, Lisa!!!

The Cook said...

Great post. So glad I met you and no can read your blog from the start! Can't wait until September.

Lisa said...

Oh Erin,

Thank you SO much for invite and peek into your joyful world with the beautiful baby Hannah!!

I can't wait to come back and spend more time reading about your journey together!

Loved reading about KP through your eyes and your photos are adorable!! Hannah is simply gorgeous and I loved your Kaz colors Friday night! Such pretty ladies, both of you!!

So glad we have met and can't wait to follow along as you celebrate life with Hannah!!

Lou Ann said...

I an so jealous! It looks like everyone had a ball and Ms Hanna clearly was the bell of that ball!! I sure hope we can make it next year.

Lou Ann & Lexie too

Jennifer said...

I just have to say that I love checking your blog right now. :-) I check probably every other day or so for new updates, and the first picture I see is of your daughter and my son together front and center. I love it, and it makes me smile! :-)