Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Magic of An Ordinary Day

  Dear Hannah, You have now been with Mommy for 2 weeks!! They say time flies but it literally seems like time is going by in the blink of an eye.  You continue to be an absolute joy and have adjusted amazingly well to your new life.  You love to eat (anything and everything, your favorite treat is fudge cookies!).  You are a total flirt and still as happy as ever.  During your first week home, we did lots of activities. We had your first pediatrician's appointment.  The doctor (who has two little ones adopted from China herself) says you are in perfect health, both physically and developmentally. She was impressed with how well you imitate Mommy and how many sounds and words you have at only 9 months old!!   We also went to lunch with your Kaz Kutie friend, Dalton.  His mommy Shauna and I are good friends and we spent most of lunch talking about how the county of Kazakhstan gets in your blood.  We both can't get it out of our heads that we want to go back-- and soon.  We Kaz mama's are kindred spirits.  It's such a unique experience...the research, the paper chase, the WAIT (my goodness, the wait...definitely the hardest part of the process), the travel, the bonding period, and then finally having your baby in your arms.  I haven't quite found the words to explain it correctly to anyone who hasn't experienced it first hand.  But anyway, back to you, Hannah.  You love taking walks and sitting out by the pool.  You also LOVE your bath.  Your welcome home party is in 2 weeks and we are busy getting ready.  I still can't believe you are really here.  I still cry every morning when I see your beautiful smiling face.  Tomorrow is Mother's Day and it will be a very special day for both of us -- our first one together as a family. The ancient Chinese red thread proverb is a story known to almost all adoptive parents, especially those of us lucky enough to adopt from Central Asia.  As the legend goes, "An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."   When I look at you, sweet girl, I know this legend is true.  Hannah, I am so blessed to have you in my life.    Love, Mommy

3 comments:

Lou Ann said...

Erin,

What a wonderful letter. You and Hannah are blessed to have followed your red thread to find each other. I know that's how I feel about Lexie. We were meant to be together no matter where she or I was born. And Kaz is certainly in my blood almost 3 years after traveling to meet her. I am trying hard to figure out how I can go back again before THEY think I'm too old. Maybe we'll travel for number two together!!

Have a wonderful First Mother's Day!!

Lou Ann & Lexie too

Kelly and Sne said...

Aw, look at how sweet Hannah is! So glad to hear that you are all adjusting so well and that you have local Kaz friends! Can't wait to be in your shoes for #2 - now that we've seen photos, the wait is KILLING me!

Lou Ann said...

Erin - you asked me in a comment on Lexie's blog if we are going to Palooza and I'm sorry to say we aren't. I am heading to Texas the first couple weeks of June to visit with my sister and her kids before she has her twins. But have enough fun for both of us!! And don't forget to take lots of pictures! Maybe we can do it next year.

Lou Ann & Lexie too